Uk citizens in Spain After Brexit

How Brexit can Impact your Trips to Spain “Can I live in Spain after Brexit?” and other Questions Answered

With the UK now officially out of the EU, many denizens of Britain are left wondering how this will affect their travels. Whether you’re looking to Spain for a holiday, traveling for business reasons, or looking to relocate permanently, after Brexit, things can be a little more complicated. But rest assured with a little bit of research it’s not quite as difficult as it may seem.

How long Can I Holiday in Spain after Brexit?

how long can uk citizens stay in spain

Even with the United Kingdom officially leaving the European Union, Spain still remains a popular tourist attraction for UK citizens around the country. While there are some restrictions, the average traveler shouldn’t have too much trouble. British citizens can stay in Spain for 90 days in any 180 day period with a valid UK passport. This process may change in 2022, as the EU will be launching their ETIAS system, which will require a biometric passport, and other personal information involving your past. This will not only affect travel to Spain, but many EU countries.

Do you want to live in Spain?

Our law firm has more than 15 years of experience.

Contact Us Now!

Do you need a Visa for Tenerife after Brexit?

how long can you stay in spain after brexit?

As Tenerife is part of Spain and the EU, for any stay over 90 days, you will need a visa. However, if you intend to stay for longer, you may need a residence card.

Can I get a residency after Brexit?

travelling spain after brexit

For UK citizens looking to obtain a Spanish Residency after Brexit’s transition period, things are a little tougher. In 2021 UK citizens who are new arrivals are no longer automatically granted the right to work or become a resident in Spain. So if you’re asking yourself, “Do I need a Visa for Spain from UK?”, then you’ve come to the right place. British Citizens interested in moving to Spain after Brexit must apply for a Spanish residence permit or an appropriate visa. There are quite a few different visas available, and it’s important to make sure you meet the requirements for the one you decide to apply to. There are visas available for family members of EU nationals, for students looking to study abroad, temporary workers visas, entrepreneur visas (For those interested in starting a company in Spain), non lucrative visas, and the so-called “Golden Visa” for those investing €500,000 or more in Spain.

What kind of documentation is required?

For all of the visas that will grant you residency, and permit living in Spain for 6 months or more, it’s for the best that you get a qualified legal professional to help you through the process, as any and all mistakes made on your initial application will lead to rejection. You’re also going to need a lot of updated copies of documentation regarding both your past and your ability to seek residence in Spain. For example, you’ll need your passport with a recent photo of yourself, a medical certificate declaring you free of any disease that may cause a general health risk, and find yourself a translator that’s registered in Spain for all documentation. With the help of a legal professional, they can make certain that everything is up to snuff.

What if I have a family member who is already a citizen of Spain?

If you’re attempting to get a Spain visa for UK residents as a relative of an EU citizen, proof of this relationship, whether it be by blood or by marriage or common-law partnership. You’ll also need a copy of their residence permit and a copy of the notification they’ve received regarding your application.

What if I or my child is a student looking to study abroad?

If you or your child has recently accepted an offer to study Abroad in Spain, then you’re going to need more than the standard documentation. According to Spanish law, the student visa applies to 5 types of people. This includes those looking to study past the 90 day limit at a Spanish educational establishment, students engaged in research activities, those participating in foreign exchange programs, unpaid internships, and volunteer services.

What kind of information am I required to provide?

Depending on the category you fall under, the information you’ll have to provide will look a little different. As it’s important to make sure you’re not only applying for the correct category, but also that you’re providing correct and up to date information, you should contact a legal professional for help. But, most of the information you’re going to need will fall within the realm of proving that you or your child has both an institution sponsoring them, and the means to provide for themselves while in Spain. Proving your means can range from a scholarship form to bank statements from a legal guardian or yourself proving ability to pay any cost for lodging and provisions. This will also include proof of health insurance valid in Spain.

Do you want to live in Spain?

Our law firm has more than 15 years of experience.

Contact Us Now!

Can I work in Spain after Brexit?

visa to visit spain from uk

For those working in Spain after Brexit, or looking to, there are several visas that you can get depending on the type of work and employer you may have, so you should be certain of the type you need. In the majority of cases, this process will have been started by your employer and you’ll need a copy of both their foreign work authorization form, and a copy of the employment contract you have. Things get more complicated with those that are Self-Employed, filing as exempt, or Highly Qualified Professionals. But rest assured, working in Spain is still possible after Brexit.

What if I’m self employed?

Those that fall under the category of self-employed still have the option to apply for a residence permit in Spain, although it is a little more difficult than someone who already has a job offer from an authorized institution or business in Spain. You’ll have to fill out a lot of the forms yourself, and as you don’t have an employer, you won’t receive any help. So it’s recommended you get a professional to make sure everything is in order.

What kind of extra documentation am I going to need?

As a self-employed individual, you’re going to need to fill out form EX-07 and apply for residency as self-employed. This is going to serve as your initial authorization for temporary residency. Once you’ve done this, you’ll need to do both forms 790-052, and form 790-062, these are self-assessments of the fee you’ll have to pay at the consulate. For any kind of work you’re planning to do, or for your primary place of business, you’ll need the proper licenses and permits to operate the location you’ve chosen for your work. You’ll also need to provide proof of qualification pertaining to the field in which you’ll operate. After getting these approved, you can move on to your visa application, which just requires standard documentation.

Who qualifies as exempt?

If you’re wondering whether you need to file for a visa as an exempt worker, then contacting a legal professional is probably your best bet, as it’s a little tricky to know if you fit into this category. It includes those technicians, scientists, researchers, and managerial staff that are invited by a recognized institution.

What documentation will I need to provide?

You’re going to need to provide proof of your status as an exempt worker. This means you’re going to need either a valid work contract or an invitation to the country from a qualified institution. You’re also going to need to fill out your form 790-052 to assess the fee you’ll have to pay at the consulate and your EX-09 form for authorization of temporary residence in the exempt work category.

What about Highly Qualified Workers? How do I know if I am one?

This can be a little difficult to know for sure if you fit in, but this is going to include high-level managerial staff and those with advanced degrees. So it is recommended you check with a professional before applying, but if you qualify, you’ll only have to provide the standard initial residence documentation and your work authorization for highly qualified professionals.

What about the so-called “Golden Visa”? Who is that for?

The “Golden Visa” is for those looking to start a business or invest in Spanish markets in any amount above or equal to €500,000.

Do you want to live in Spain?

Our law firm has more than 15 years of experience.

Contact Us Now!

What information will I need to get it?

For those who fit in this category, you’re going to need more information than just the standard documentation. You’ll need some kind of proof of your financial means, this could be in the form of a bank statement, details of your holdings in any capital markets, proof of any investments, and proof of at least 400% of the IPREM, which translates to an income of about €2,259.60 per month. Working with a qualified professional will not only make this process easier but also save you valuable time and any headaches that could result in rejection due to faulty information.

What about retirees interested in living in Spain?

For retirees, or if you’re just looking to have an extended stay in Spain living off your savings, you’re going to need a non-lucrative residence visa. If you’re applying for this visa, you’re going to need the standard documentation, with proof of some form of health insurance authorized to operate in Spain, and proof of financial means of at least 400% of the IPREM, again this is about €2,259.60 per month. You’re also going to need to fill out the 790-052 self-assessment form and the EX-01 authorization for non-lucrative temporary residence.

Can I purchase property in Spain? What if I have any other questions?

For UK citizens wondering if they can buy property in Spain, rest assured, there are no restrictions on the purchase of property by third-country nationals. There are no laws limiting purchase of property to Spanish nationals or British expats Spain Brexit. So yes, UK nationals are allowed to purchase property in Spain.
And If you’re left with any further questions about travelling to Spain after Brexit, or are left wondering, “How long can I stay in Spain after Brexit?”, and you or other British citizens are interested in further information on the process, please contact a qualified legal professional.

Write a Reply or Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *