How to get a Spain Work Visa

We are a visa boutique in Spain. We are digitally progressive team. We devote the best immigration visa experts to assure that you receive the best guidance, prompt feedback and professional services to achieve a successful resolution. Send us your queries and in less than 24 hours you will receive feedback from us.

Information about How to get a Spain Work Visa

Experience: More than 7 Years with Work visa in Spain.
Feedback: Best personalized guidance.
Specialised: Foreign clients to obtain their Work visa in Spain
lucia lagunas reyes - Our How to get a Spain Work Visa lawyer expert

How to Get a Work Visa in Spain Have you ever thought about working abroad? Ever imagine what it would be like to live and work in a different environment? What about working in Spain? It’s not as complicated as one may think? The process isn’t as simple as hoping a flight to Spain, finding a somewhere to reside then finding work. International work opportunities are great opportunities for traveling, learning and indulging in a vast amount of cultures all while performing different types of work. In order to be allowed to work abroad one must obtain a work employment visa. This work visa allows for working abroad in a specific location for a specific amount of time. Without a work visa companies can’t legally employ non-EU citizens.

What is needed to obtain a Spain Work Visa?

In Spain in order to work, a work employment visa must be obtained. A Spain Work Visa allows for the foreigner or foreigners to be able to enter, stay in Spain, and carry out any and all employed tasks, with previous Government Authorization. There are a multitude of steps that must be correctly followed in order to obtain the work visa. First bit of information regarding the work visa application process, the visa must be applied for in person. Applications must be submitted at least 90 days prior to the expected date of travel. Starting from the time approval notification was received; residence visas must be picked up within 30 days,anytime after that, visas will be cancelled.

Are there different types of work visas in Spain?

When looking at a Spain Work Visa there are different types of work visas, with some requiring going to a spanish embassy or consulate. If someone wanted to work as a highly skilled employee, non-EU citizens would need to find employment listed as ‘Shortage Occupation’. This is employment for which there is a lack of candidates in the EU. The employer must then put in a request for a work visa from the Ministry of Labour. Work permits can take up to 8 months to process so thinking ahead is essential. The embassy or consulate will issue the work and residence visa after the Ministry of Labour has approved the application. For those who will be working seasonal, there is a Work Visa for seasonal workers and the process to obtain a visa is similar to the process in obtaining a visa or highly skilled employees. Employers would have to apply for the visa on behalf of the employee from the Ministry of Labour. On top of that process, seasonal workers would need to show that they have accommodations arranged, travel cost taken care of and that they will be returning back to their respective country once the job has been completed. These types of visas are valid for the duration of the work contract.

How do I submit the required documents that are needed?

When applying/submitting the documents required for a spanish work visa there are a few steps involved. All documents for this visa must be in Spanish. Any documents that can only be obtained in English must be translated by a Sworn Translator. Be sure to bring all photocopies and originals of all documents.
1.Both the originals and photocopies of forms for the visa must be signed.
2.Glued to the form should be a one passport type photo (white background 2×2”).
3.Passports should be no older than 10yrs and should have at least blank page for the new visa.
4.I.D. card that proves where you reside is within the jurisdiction of the Spanish Consulate of Los Angeles. You can also provide U.S. driver’s license, State I.D. card, Voter’s Registration Card, current student I.D.
5.(For non- US citizens only) Alien Registration Card or long term U.S. Visa. (Original and a photocopy).

– Anyone holding B-1 and B-2 Visas cannot apply in the United States; they must apply in their country of residence or country of origin.

– Applicants that are holding Student Visas must also submit their I-20 signed by the university on the last page and a copy of their F-1 Visa.

6.Authorization of residence and work permit approval (comunicación de autorización de trabajo y residencia) issued by the Oficina de Extranjeros o Dirección General de Inmigración of the Ministry of Labor (Ministerio de Trabajo e Inmigración) in Spain. This document cant be older than 30 days.
7.Work Contract proving the fulfillment of minimal economic funds during time in Spain (Original and a photocopy)
8.Certification of “absence of police records” (18 years of age or older) (Original, photocopy, translation into Spanish, photocopy of translation): Obtain a background check verified by fingerprint comparison. This document is valid for 3 months in reference to the date that it was issued. It must be legalized with the “Apostille of The Hague” and then translated into Spanish.

Background checks can be issued by either The U.S. Justice Department– FBI Federal Bureau of Investigation and must be legalized with the “Apostille of The Hague” by the Secretary of State in Washington or The State Justice Department (all states where the applicant has resided in the last 5 years) and the document must be legalized with the “Apostille of The Hague” by the Secretary of State of said state.

9.Medical Certificate: (Original, photocopy and a translation): Must be recent (Issued within the last 3 months), include letter-head and handwritten signature of a doctor (M.D. or D.O.).
10.Payment of the Visa Fees is accepted with money orders. Money orders are to be addressed to the ”General Consulate of Spain Los Angeles”. Money will not be reimbursed even if the visa is not granted or is cancelled.

•The spouse of the main applicant must submit his/her own visa application for Residence visa, with all required documents plus the Marriage certificate authenticated with the Apostille of The Hague and translated into Spanish.

•Any children of the main applicant should submit his/ her own visa application for Residence visa, with all required documents plus the Birth certificates authenticated with the Apostille of The Hague and translated into Spanish.

11.Disclaimer duly signed

Once you have completed gathering the needed documentation, you may use this Check List as a guide to make sure you have everything ready for your appointment.

Are there any exemptions for employee work permits in Spain?

Some individuals don’t have to have a work permit to do work in Spain. However, they may still need a visa to be able to enter into Spain. Examples of those who may be exempt from needing a work permit to be able to work in Spain include university professors, technicians, and scientists, those coming to Spain to develop scientific or cultural programs, foreign journalists, artists coming for specific performances, clergy, and trade union officials. There are no visa or work permit restrictions if you would like to come to Spain to carry out volunteer work.

Can students find employment in Spain?

If you have a student residence card, you can work up to 20 hours a week during your studies in Spain. Your employer must arrange a work permit on your behalf.

What is an EU Blue Card?

The EU Blue Card is Europe’s answer to the US Green Card. The EU Blue Card is a work- and live permit for non-EU/EEA nationals. The European Blue Card provides comprehensive socio-economic rights and a path towards permanent residence and EU citizenship. If you have a higher education qualification that took at least three years to complete that allows you to work at a high level in a professional capacity, or have a minimum of five years’ professional experience at the same level, then you can apply for an EU Blue Card. You will also have to have a work contract or legally-binding job offer. The job must have a salary of at least 1.5 times (or 1.2 times for jobs that are in particular demand) the average wage in Spain. The employer then submits the application on your behalf along with documentation about the job, evidence that no EU citizen could fill the position, and information about your qualifications and passport/ID and health insurance for Spain. Once the EU Blue Card is granted, you must apply to the Spanish embassy in your home country for a visa. Documents will need are your passport, medical certificate, no criminal record certificate and a copy of the job contract. When you have the visa, you have three months to come to Spain. The Blue Card is valid for a year and is renewable for as long as you meet the conditions. Once you have obtained an EU Blue Card, you will be able to travel to other EU states for up to three months within a six-month period. After 18 months, you can move to another EU state but you must apply for an EU Card there. If you have held a Blue Card issued by another European Union member state for 18 months, you have the right to move to Spain and apply for a Spanish EU Blue Card. You or your employer can apply either before you arrive in Spain or within a month of entering the country.

Can I work as a freelancer or self-employed?

In order to be able to work in Spain as a freelancer, it is necessary to apply for a Self employment Visa at a Spanish consulate or embassy. The work visas are valid for one year but can be renewed if all the conditions are still met. The required documentation for the work visa includes:

  • Proof of sufficient finances to be able to support yourself
  • Proof of relevant skills and experience
  • A business plan (if pertinent)
  • Any contracts or commissions from companies
  • Any required licenses or registrations (industry or job-specific)

Once you have the work and residence permit, you can apply for a visa to enter Spain, if necessary. Find out if you need an entry visa in our guide to Spanish visas.

Can family members travel to Spain and work also?

Family members can join relatives of non- eu citizens who have been residing in Spain for one year and hold a residence permit for a further year, by applying for a family reunification residence permit. Once approved, family members can work without a work permit Non-EU relatives of EU/EEA/Swiss citizens can come to Spain without waiting for a year and can also work without a permit.

What happens once you arrive in Spain?

The visa from the department will only be valid for 90 days. Don’t be alarmed, this is normal. During the first month of your stay in Spain, you must go to the local police station to receive your full visa. They will ask for some original documents, which will be certified at the Consulate, and then you will be issued a ”Tarjeta de Identificación de Extranjero” (NIE). This card validates your residency until the listed expiration date. Note that the dates will be formatted DAY/MONTH/YEAR. Everyone working in Spain must register with the Spanish Social Security authorities, the General Social Security Fund (Dirección General de la Tesorería General de la Seguridad Social – TGSS). If you are an employee your employer will do this for you; if you are self-employed it is your responsibility. Take a look at their website for more information on how to register, contributions and benefits. There are also provincial offices all throughout Spain

Why choose us for your How to get a Spain Work Visa?

We are a Spanish law firm with more than 10 years of experience. We are specialists in immigration and real estate. We respond in less than 3 hours to all your questions or we schedule a call to resolve all the doubts of the client.

We are experts in obtaining How to get a Spain Work Visa so many clients speak well of us on the internet. If you need help with How to get a Spain Work Visa, contact us!

30 thoughts on “How to get a Spain Work Visa

  1. Misbah |

    I want to immigrate to spain with my family how can i apply for work visa? Can you help me

    1. My Spain Visa |

      to obtain a work permit you first need a company that wants to hire you, is this your case? without a company that offers to make you a contract we cannot help you.

  2. Milica Spiric |

    Hi, I am looking for advice and potential services for a work visa for one of our employees. I’d like to understand the prices of your services.
    Our employee is a Brazilian citizen and we would like to move them to Spain (we have an entity in Spain).
    Thanks in advance

    1. My Spain Visa |

      One of our lawyers has contacted you to start the work visa process.

  3. Singh |

    Hi, I’d like to get some information about obtaining a work visa in Spain and wondered if someone could give me a call for a chat with the potential to be instructed to act my behalf, if required.

    1. Anna |


      One of our lawyers will contact you to answer your questions about Spanish work visa.


  4. Kerri Taylor |

    My daughter (British) has travelled to Spain as she secured a seasonal job. However, on arrival her employer has told her they cannot obtain the necessary work permit so she cannot start. Is she able to get the required documents herself?

    1. Anna |


      To obtain a work permit the employer needs to hire you and do all the paperwork for you for the work permit, we can help your employer with all the paperwork to obtain a work permit in Spain.


  5. catherine |

    My son (british passport) aged 17.5 years with fluent Spanish has a job opportunity as a sales assistant of a famous Spanish retailer in Madrid for his summer holiday start July to end August this year (2 months). We can arrange his accommodation with friends in Madrid but looking at the rules and timescale this visa does not seem possible? The Spanish Consulate in London and Manchester is on strike and not answering questions or taking visa applications

    1. Anna |


      One of our lawyers will contact you to answer your questions about the spain work visa.


  6. A Ellis |

    My family wants to live and work in Spain, we have two kids. What do we need to do?

    1. Anna |

      A Ellis,

      One of our lawyers will contact you to answer your questions about the Work visa in Spain.


      1. Mr Jill |

        I am thinking of moving to Spain and I need a work visa, could you help me to get it? What are the requirements to obtain the Spanish work visa?

      2. Anna |

        Mr Jill,

        One of our lawyers will contact you to answer your questions about Work visa in Spain.


  7. Abeer |

    I am thinking of moving to Spain and I need a work visa, could you help me to get it? What are the requirements to obtain the Spanish work visa?

    1. Anna |


      One of our lawyers will contact you to answer your questions about the Work visa in Spain.


      1. Amy |

        Hi, I’m from London and would like to work in Spain for two months, just bar work or PR. What work visa do I need, also how long does it take? Do you already need a job to get one?

      2. Anna |


        One of our lawyers will contact you to answer your questions about work visa in Spain.


  8. Kowthar |


    I’m from the UK and I applied for an over 90 days work exemption VISA to work in Spain as I’ve been offered a teaching job there. I attended my appointment at the consulate in London on the 11th Jan 2022 but I’ve still not heard from them. I also don’t know how they would contact me when they’re ready. Do you know how long it takes and how I’ll know when to collect my passport? Thank you

    1. Anna |


      One of our lawyers will contact you to answer your questions about Spain work visa.


  9. Sahana |

    I live in UK and I’m processing Highly Qualified employee visa for Spain.
    I had attended my appointment at Spanish consulate in London on 14th Jan 2022. I haven’t got any update from them yet.
    You have any idea how long it takes and when can I collect the passport?

    Thank you

    1. Anna |


      One of our lawyers will contact you to answer your questions about the Work visa in Spain.


  10. Heather walker |

    Hi im in the UK and want to live and work in spain and move with me and my family is a contract of employment for bar work ok to get a work permit / visa

    1. Anna |


      One of our lawyers will contact you to answer your questions about Work visa in Spain


  11. Douglas |

    I am planing to work in Spain and I need a work visa, could you help me to get it? What are the requirements to obtain the Spanish work visa?
    I work for a pharmaceutical company and I am looking for possibilities in Spain.

    1. Anna |


      One of our lawyers will contact you to explain about the Spain Work Visa.


  12. Derek |

    I am looking for a way to work remotely from Spain, can you help me?

    1. Anna |


      One of our lawyers will contact you to explain all the process for work remotely in Spain.


  13. Sama |

    I want to apply for a work visa in Spain. can you help me ? i am a UK citizen

    1. Anna |


      One of our lawyers will contact you to explain all the process for work visa in Spain.


Write a Reply or Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *